Flying on a plane can be very stressful for a lot of people. It’s a scary experience if you let it. The following tips will help reduce anxiety many feel during a flight. I, myself, use these tips to calm myself down.
- Be prepared- Create checklists three to four days before your flight on the items you’re taking on your carry-on bag, purse and luggage. For the ultimate packing checklist, check out our list here. Pack two to three days before your flight. Also, arrive at the airport at least two hours before your scheduled flight.
- Focus your attention on other things- read a book or a magazine. Watch your favorite TV show or movie on your laptop or iPad. Play some games on your phone or iPad.
- Get comfortable- pack a comfy throw, socks and a neck pillow. If you’re one to get cold, bring a fluffy cardigan.
- Sleep- If you’re sleeping, your mind is not thinking about the fact that you’re on an airplane.
- Use aromatherapy mists- Bath and Body Works sells aromatherapy pillow mists to create a calm and serene experience for a restful slumber. Spray some on your pillow or on your neck pillow.
- Listen to music- Create a playlist that will lead you to a tranquil state of mind and eventually, sleep. Use noise-canceling headphones to stay in the zone and block out the noise around you.
- If you are one to get motion sickness, don’t read. Take a Dramamine an hour before to prevent motion sickness.
- Drink ONE alcoholic drink- For those that are 21 years old and over, treat yourself to an alcoholic beverage. This will be extremely helpful, but one is more than enough. You don’t want to leave your flight a complete mess.
- Stay hydrated and well fed- Drink water and bring some healthy snacks.
- Just RELAX and BREATHE- Block those negative thoughts! It will be okay. Trust me. I once read that car accidents are way more common than airplane ones. Think about it this way, flight attendants fly almost every day, and they are OKAY.
I used to fear airplanes, but now, I don’t even think about the fact that I’m flying especially when I apply the tips I mentioned above. Hope this post helps you nervous flyers.
P.S. What techniques do you use to stay calm during a flight? Comment below.